Special activities planned for the Derby Hop include:
- Gallery Janjobe, in the Mellwood Art Center, will feature a “Garden Party” theme with works of art inspired by the garden, and host a trunk show of Derby jewelry by Robbie Moriarty.
- Mellwood Art Center, 1860 Mellwood Avenue, will host the grand opening of a new gallery – Meg Krakowiak Gallery & Studio, in studios No. 118 and No. 119 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Guests can enter to win an original painting. They will also host the opening reception of “Woman / Horse / Myth / Legend,” an exhibition that challenged artists to depict the female form, the spirit of the horse, or the connection between the two. That reception is from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. There will also be live music in the courtyard Joey Sandals.
- Christy Zurkuhlen Gallery, in the Mellwood Art Center, will introduce their new designer handmade soap, body lotion, and lip balm, including special Derby items. Fragrances include “Lillies for the Fillies,” “Champagne and Strawberries,” and “Old Kentucky Mint Julep.”
- PURE Fitness Training, Mellwood Art Center, will put on a “bodies in motion’” workout demonstration using body paint to highlight different muscle groups used to perform given exercises.
- The Comfy Cow, 2221 Frankfort Avenue, will feature their recently trademarked Derby ice cream and Mint Julep ice cream and host live music from local musicians Judy ‘n Bob.
- Margaret’s Consignment, 2700 Frankfort Avenue, will host a Derby Hat contest at 7:30 p.m. The winner will get a $50 gift card to Margaret. Live entertainment in the courtyard.
- A Reader’s Corner, 2044 Frankfort Avenue, will host live music from Another Colour on the front porch and refreshments will be served.
The F.A.T Friday Trolley Hops are from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. The trolley hops, held year-round on the final Friday of every month, include free parking and transportation to participating shops, restaurants and galleries along the Frankfort, Mellwood and Story Avenue corridor.
For more information about specific F.A.T. Friday events, the trolley schedule, and the participating businesses, please visit the website here.
The 2012 F.A.T. Friday title sponsors are Bluegrass Brewing Company and Maker’s Mark. Corporate sponsors are Brown-Forman and the Mellwood Arts Center.
Supporting sponsors are: A Reader’s Corner Bookstore, Celia’s @ Mellwood Art Center, Core Fluency Pilates, Crescent Hill Trading Company, Dressing Room, East Meets West Global Treasures, Elizabeth’s Timeless Attire, eyedia, design it again, Gallery Janjobe, Heine Brothers’ Coffee, The Irish Rover, Just Creations, Margaret’s Consignment & Collectibles, Mellwood Arts & Entertainment Center, Peacock Boutique, Porcini, S. Bayly Boutique, Sergio’s World Beers, Sister Dragonfly Gallery, Sol Aztecas Grill and Cantina, Sweet Surrender Dessert Café and Coffee Shop, Third Lutheran Church, United Crescent Hill Ministries, Urban Farmhouse Market, Varanese, Vernon Club & Lanes, Vines & Canines, Volare Italian Ristorante, Wine Rack, and Work The Metal.
About The Frankfort Avenue Business Association: The Frankfort Avenue Business Association ‘s mission is to enhance the Frankfort Avenue area as a place to do business. The association works to stimulate economic development and growth along the business corridor and develop and implement marketing activities that promote and improve the business climate. In addition, FABA acts as a unifying force and advocate for solutions when issues emerge in the community, as well as supporting the work of the area neighborhood associations and charitable organizations. FABA helps keep Frankfort Avenue looking its best through clean-up blitz programs, graffiti eradication, and spraying for weeds, in cooperation with Operation Brightside, the Metro Council and the City Arborist.