What does it take to be a GLI’s Enterprise Corp “Hot Dozen” company? Director Tendai Charasika explained how these high-potential companies are selected to the annual list of companies to watch at yesterday’s Showcase at 21c.
“EnterpriseCorp has worked with all of these companies for a significant amount of time. Most more than twelve months,” said Charasika. They’re selected from EnterpriseCorps’ Innovation Network, and most of the time they’ve worked with EnterpriseCorps “all the way from idea to execution.” These companies, explained Charasika, have hit a growth phase or a significant pivotal milestone.
Also, these companies are “regionally community focused.” They have strong ties to the region, whether it’s mentors, resources or capital.
The 2013 “Hot Dozen” Companies Are:
(Descriptions provided by GLI; additional information by Insider Louisville in italics.)
- Agile Harbor is a software company specializing in eCommerce through their primary product, SkuVault, a cloud-based warehouse management system that helps you prevent out of stocks, reduce human error, and improve warehouse efficiency.
- Bourbon Barrel Foods produces distinctive gourmet sauces, spices, sugars, sorghum, cocktail condiments, and grilling material, all of which embrace the history and mystique of Kentucky’s Bourbon Country. Each all-natural product is handcrafted in small batches, utilizing reclaimed barrels from Kentucky’s finest bourbon distilleries to impart an added dimension of flavor and aromas that cannot be replicated.
- Collabra is an online platform that connects musicians to create, collaborate, and share music. It provides a simple tool to collaborate together in musical projects and builds on members’ existing social networks in a way that engages artists and fans like never before. Collabra recently completed the Velocity accelerator program.
- DCVR Outdoors manufactures a line of products for waterfowl, turkey and deer hunting. Their reputation has been built on their high quality, American-made products, dependable customer service, and ingenuity in the outdoor market. DCVR (pronounced “deceiver”) will likely announce soon that their products will be featured at Cabela stores.
- Edumedics helps businesses save money through a unique approach to chronic disease management. Using the power of data, education and medicine, Edumedics delivers management solutions to improve the health of employees and control health care costs.
Got You In is the world’s first universal scheduling app, specifically designed for barbers. Got You In empowers barbers, and their customers, to efficiently manage their calendars independently of one another. CEO John Mark Eberhart pitched his business at OpenCoffeeLou 17.
- Liberate Medical is developing an abdominal electrical muscle stimulator, which synchronizes with a patient’s breathing activity, as a platform technology to treat patients with respiratory disease. They are initially focused on reducing air trapping in COPD patients and reducing hospital days for patients on mechanical ventilation.
- LocalView is a comprehensive platform for finding local businesses, events, and free mobile offers. They bring businesses new customers. The only time a business pays LocalView is after that business has received payment from their customer. LocalView is a company that exists as the result of a pivot by the WhyWait team that was seeing a great deal of popularity this time last year. Jay Brown is looking forward to talking about the company’s “impressive numbers” soon.
- New2Lou is an event-based, social networking organization for people who are new to Louisville as well as people interested in rediscovering their city. New2Lou connects people through social events, online interaction and networking opportunities which helps them easily acclimate to their personal and professional surroundings, get engaged in the community and become active and vital citizens. Founder Stacey Servo had just returned from leading the New2Flug team’s flugtag team in Chicago. She had said the team’s goal was to “fly the furthest or fail spectacularly.” They certainly achieved one of those goals. Servo swears that pilot Justin Brown was uninjured.
- SuperFanU is a fan loyalty company that is a points and rewards-based system designed to drive attendance to sporting events for high schools, universities, and professional sports teams. It is accessible to fans via iPhone, Android and all other smart devices via a mobile site.
- Vivorte has a mission is to identify, develop and commercialize orthopedic medical devices which address a clear and unmet need in markets exceeding one billion dollars.
- Wicked Sheets is a luxury-medical bedding company that creates sheets that are comfortable, breathable, and silky to the touch. Wicked Sheets can heighten the sleeping experience for anyone, but are specifically designed to aid those who suffer from night sweats. The advanced technical fabric contains “smart” fibers that wick away moisture from the body, keeping both the bed and the sleeper cool and dry all night long. Wicked Sheets won the Venture Sharks tournament two years ago.
Previous Hot Dozen winners include Rooibee Red Tea, the Learning House, GlowTouch and Apriss.