Occasionally you can find Louisville sharing the same spotlight as foodie towns like Portland, New York or San Francisco, but very rarely are we mentioned internationally with the likes of Finland and Canada. But that’s exactly whose company we’re sharing in the recently released World Food Travel Association‘s FoodTrekking Awards.
We nabbed first place in the “Best Destination Experience” category, nudging out Helsinki, Finland, and Nova Scotia, Canada.
The WFTA is a nonprofit and non-governmental organization that claims to be the world’s leading authority of food tourism. The awards recognize excellence in food and beverage tourism and were selected from submitted applications.
“We know from our visitors that Louisville’s reputation as a food destination has been growing,” says Karen Williams, president & CEO of the Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau. “To be recognized by the world’s leading authority on food and beverage tourism as the best experience in the world is an incredible honor that the entire hospitality industry has helped earn.”
The FoodTrekking Awards were given out in five categories, which are listed below.
Best Destination Experience:
- Grand Prize: Louisville Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Runner Up: Visit Helsinki, Finland
- Runner Up: Tourism Nova Scotia, Canada
Best Foodservice Experience:
- Grand Prize: Restaurant Aanaar at the Hotel Kultahovi, Inari, Finland
- Runner Up: La Cuina del Vent, Catalonia, Spain
Best Tour Operations:
- Grand Prize: Turkish Flavours, Istanbul, Turkey
- Runner Up: Odyssey New Zealand, Napier, New Zealand
- Runner Up: Italian Food Artisans, Santa Barbara, California, USA
Best Beer Experience:
- Grand Prize: BlackLab Brewhouse & Kitchen, Barcelona, Spain
- Runner Up: Brouwerij De Koninck, Antwerp, Belgium
Best Wine Experience: