It’s a collision of old-school meets modern right on the tracks of the Winter Wonderland Model Train Show, now on display at the Southwest Regional branch of the Louisville Free Public Library through Sunday, Jan. 6.
Courtesy of the K&I (Kentucky and Indiana) Model Railroad Club, the functioning display is 28 feet long and 10 feet wide and features three different lines.
One side of the track shows off ’50s-era mechanics using steam, while the other powers itself with modern diesel fuel.
The K&I Model Railroad Club was formed in 1993 and features enthusiasts of all ages, backgrounds and skill levels. The group meets a few times a year and also builds similar model train sets for organizations, companies and events.
This marks the fifth year in a row the club has set up at the Southwest Regional Library during the holidays.
The Southwest Library is located at 9725 Dixie Hwy. Admission is free, and the display times are below:
- Wednesday, Dec. 26 — 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 27 — 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 28 — 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 29 — 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 30 — 1-5 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 31 — 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 2 — 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 3 — 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 4 — 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 5 — 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 6 — 1-5 p.m.